Custom Wood BuilderResponsible for laying out and building custom wood products according to Joseph A. Interiors set of quality standards and procedures, using shop drawings and various materials including wood and plastic laminate for the commercial or residential construction industry. Custom Builder will cut, shape, and assemble wooden articles, as well as set up and operate a variety of woodworking machines.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Read, study and understand blueprints/shop drawings of products to be constructed, and accurately plan sequence of cutting or shaping operations to be performed. Ask appropriate questions when necessary to ensure lay-out is accurate and machinery is set up properly in order to build all projects according to specifications.
- Prepare accurate estimates of materials required for the job project based on blueprints and record inventory used according to company procedures.
- Set up and operate woodworking machines (such as table saws, mitre box, band saw, radial arm saw, routers, and sanders), as well as use hand tools (nailers, staplers, etc.) to cut, shape, and assemble wooden and other various material components of project items.
- Trim component parts of joints to ensure snug fit, using hand tools, such as planes, chisels, or wood files. Glue, fit, and clamp parts and subassemblies together to form complete unit, using clamps or clamping machine.
- Sand and scrape surfaces and joints of articles to properly prepare job project items for finishing department.
- Continually monitor all project plans and workflow schedule, and ask appropriate questions to make sure material and hardware used is correct and errors are minimized.
- Make recommendations to scheduling and project coordinators on potential inaccuracies and corrections to project specifications so that adjustments can be made during the building process. Make recommendations and suggestions on how to build different jigs or different techniques to increase the efficiency of the building process as a whole.
- Verify dimensions and check the quality and fit of all job project items before releasing in order to ensure adherence to job project specifications.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- If required, travel to job sites to perform on-site work as needed.
- Follow all company and department safety rules and requirements, including the use of appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Ensure all company policies and procedures are followed at all times as they are outlined in the Joseph A. Interiors Employee Handbook.
- Always take responsibility for the care and use of all company-owned equipment which is part of the day-to-day work function.
- Participate in company training programs and attend authorized external conferences or seminars as required to keep current in company and industry standards and operating procedures.
- Daily clean-up of work area (5S)
- Perform any special assignments or projects as requested by the Production Manager or other members of management.
WORK RELATIONSHIPS AND SCOPE:
Works closely with the Job Coordinator, all other production area team members and various members of management. Works as part of the custom wood building team to increase efficiency and profit through accountability (internal and external); taking ownership; good communication; quality; flexibility; customer focus (internal and external); and building positive relationships.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- 1-3 years of experience building custom wood products using shop drawings and various materials.
- Proven knowledge of and experience working with all hand power tools and all basic wood working machinery, and skills to fabricate wood and plastic laminate together.
- Ability to read and understand all parts of a blueprint or shop drawing and visualize the construction and completion of a project.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Demonstrated ability to communicate orally or in written form effectively with co-workers, customers and vendors as well. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Organizational skills required, including the ability to prioritize work effectively; work effectively and efficiently under pressure and time deadlines; analyze problems (not just symptoms); propose reasonable solutions, make logical decisions, carry-out decisions made, ask questions, and follow up with feedback where appropriate.
Contact for more info and to apply.